FANTA examines, strengthens, and promotes the vital linkages between agriculture and nutrition in countries and communities where we work. Our work in this area includes the following activities:
- Supporting national governments in aligning their agricultural policies with their nutrition strategies and priorities.
- Developing tools using a value chain approach to identify nutrition-sensitive agricultural interventions at value chain entry points that can lead to positive nutritional outcomes. These tools are commodity specific and can be generalized or adapted to a geographic region or country.
- Integrating agriculture and nutrition linkages into guidance for the design of food aid development programs.
- Training agricultural stakeholders in key nutrition concepts and programming approaches.
- Developing tools to improve understanding of nutrition-sensitive agriculture and capacity for nutrition-sensitive agriculture program design.
- Promoting nutrition-sensitive interventions in agricultural settings.
- Identifying local dietary deficiencies and developing appropriate food-based dietary recommendations, using tools such as Optifood.